Volunteer With Animals In Australia- International Volunteer Program
Looking to volunteer with animals in Australia? Join us for the ultimate wildlife volunteering experience in sunny Port Douglas at the award-winning Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas!
Join our dedicated team of wildlife keepers and make a genuine contribution to the conservation and care of our captive native Australian wildlife, and make the experience for our guests extra special!
Port Douglas is located 50 minutes north of Cairns and is flanked by the iconic Great Barrier Reef and World Heritage Daintree Rainforest.
The program includes accommodation in mixed shared dorms, transport from Cairns, two meals per day on work days, orientation, uniform and certificate and participation.
The program is extremely popular and is often booked months in advance, so we do recommend you plan ahead if you wish to participate!
How To Apply
If you are interested in participating, you can contact the following agencies:
- New Zealand- International Working Holidays
- Belgium- Languages & Travel, WEP Belgium
- Denmark – Travel ALOTT – Working Holiday
- France- Freepackers, WEP France
- Germany- AIFS Education Team, Languages and Travel
- Italy- WEP Italy
- Netherlands- Activity International
- Netherlands- Oak Travel
- Norway- GoXplore
- UK- BUNAC, Gap360
- USA- Go Overseas, Carpe Diem Education
Otherwise email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can put you in contact with the relevant agency to book your Aussie volunteer experience.
Wondering what it’s like to volunteer with animals in Australia? Wondering what our volunteers do in a day? Watch this incredible vlog by our volunteer Mille Mirah Seiersen.
Typical Volunteer Duties
- Preparing food for our native wildlife
- Cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures
- Koala leaf collection and distribution
- Upkeep of displays and exhibits
- Plantation maintenance
- General park maintenance tasks
- Greeting and engaging with our customers
- Joining keepers on guided tours of the park
Subject to availability
- Animal handling
- Plant identification and collection
- Caring for injured and orphaned animals
- Assist with record keeping duties under supervision
- Offsite Projects e.g. tree planting, environmental clean up days, community interaction days, wildlife carer projects and indigenous cultural experience opportunities.
“I so miss being at the habitat and especially miss all the wonderful zookeepers who made my time there so incredible… thank you for a most incredible 6 weeks at your habitat, It was one of the best experiences of my life!” Paula- America
“I have had an amazing time volunteering and have met some amazing people and animals along the way. Thank you.” Clare, UK.
“I was a volunteer in the park, and it is the best job i have ever had, I just want to say thank you, for having the volunteer program.” Anna Marie – Denmark