The Advanced Eco-Certified Wildlife Habitat is a wildlife immersion exhibit – an open and interactive environment for guests and animals to mingle in a spacious natural setting. Visitors wander along elevated boardwalks, observing up close a huge range of flora and fauna as birds fly and animals roam freely. The park is a quality ecotourism experience and product which has minimal impact on the natural environment.
What Is Eco Certification?
The ECO Certification program assures travellers that certified products are backed by a strong, well managed commitment to sustainable practices and provides high quality nature-based tourism experiences.
In 1998, the Wildlife Habitat received Advanced Ecotourism accreditation through Ecotoursim Australia (EA). This accreditation is issued to an organisation to highlight its commitment to providing a quality ecotourism experience and product that has minimal impact on the natural environment.
In gaining Advanced Ecotoursim Accreditation, EA requires the Wildlife Habitat to:
- Contribute to conservation of biodiversity
- Sustain the wellbeing of local people
- Include in its product an interpretation and educational experience
- Involve responsible action on the part of tourists and the tourism industry
- Encourage local participation
- Require the lowest possible consumption of non-renewable resources
Environmental commitments in practice
- Oil waste is contained and recycled as biodiesel
- Redundant cardboard is used locally and recycled
- Guests are encouraged to use alcohol foam to minimise water usage
- Green waste is recycled into mulch and is used throughout the park as a weed retardant and to maintain moisture within the soil
- We grow over 1000 Eucalypt trees onsite to feed our resident koalas. This prevents us having to travel long distances to collect from the wild and contributes to reducing our carbon footprint
- Effluent and bore water is used for irrigation in non-public areas and koala food plantations
- Scrap paper is recycled in animal enclosures and in the Wildlife Care Centre
- Where possible we produce our own food items for the animals by breeding or growing our own
Wildlife Habitat is Advanced Eco-Certified, for us, including the above, it also means offering strong interpretation values, a commitment to nature conservation and helping local communities.