Are you thinking of travelling to Australia and want to combine your travel with Australian volunteer work in Wildlife? Are you considering working as a wildlife keeper for a career? Our Wildlife Volunteer program may be just what you are looking for!
This is a real opportunity to work at an award winning #1 rated zoo in Port Douglas, North Queensland Australia – where the Great Barrier Reef meets the World heritage Daintree Rainforest.
The work is hard, but the rewards for your hard work are magical moments spent with our amazing Australian animals. It truly is a unique and once in a lifetime experience, with most of our volunteers leaving wishing they had more time.
Our volunteers are an integral part of our wildlife team. They are essential to the day to day care of our captive animal population which includes awesome Aussie animals such as koalas, kangaroos, birds, reptiles, possums and amphibians.
Here is what some of our recent volunteers had to say about the program:
“Super cool! Great experience, opens your mind to other possibilities” .. Elisa
“Bring good shoes, lots of animal contact and learning behind the scenes”… Camille
“Don’t hesitate to take initiative and ask questions, don’t be afraid to learn” .. Alexandra
[col span=”1/3″ ]
What you need to bring?
- Work boots
- Sturdy Work boots
- Fully enclosed work boots
- Shorts or trousers for daily work wear
- Did I mention work boots? You only need 1 pair but they need to be good!
Typical duties performed by volunteers include:
- Preparing food for our native wildlife (this is often a daily task)
- Cleaning and maintenance of animal enclosures
- Koala leaf collections and distribution
- Upkeep of displays and exhibits
Volunteers may also be given the chance to participate in:
- Animal handling
- Plant identification and collection
- Caring for injured and orphaned animals in our Wildlife Care Centre
- Assist with record keeping duties under supervision
Costs involved with the program includes accommodation. Meals on work days, uniform and transport during placement.
If you are interested in participating, you can contact the following agencies:
- Denmark –Travel ALOTT – Working Holiday
- Belgium, France & Italy – World Education Program (WEP)
- Britain and America’s – Gap360
- Norway – GoXplore
- Germany – AIFS Educational Travel
Otherwise email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can put you in contact with the relevant agency to book your Australian volunteer experience.